Fair Labor Standards Act, The, Third Edition
New Cumulative Supplement!
The law surrounding the Fair Labor Standards Act has grown exponentially in recent years, and the demand for this two-volume set reflects that growth. This essential tool provides a balanced and comprehensive treatment of the FLSA statute, DOL regulations, and case law regarding private and DOL enforcement and employer obligations.
Now in its Third Edition, and with a reorganized chapter structure, The Fair Labor Standards Act is an essential tool for helping practitioners understand FLSA coverage and exemptions. With this resource, counsel can make informed decisions about why and how to proceed on a particular course for clients. It provides point-by-point evaluations of each FLSA exemption and discusses issues including collective action litigation brought under the FLSA by individual private plaintiffs, "hybrid" actions involving both state and federal law claims, and elements of enforcement actions and litigation brought by the Secretary of Labor.
Highlights of the latest edition include:
- Updated analysis of the evolving jurisprudence on arbitration of FLSA claims, including arbitration of collective actions
- Expanded analysis of the Section 7(i) retail sales or service establishment exemption
- New discussion on FLSA coverage of interns
- Completely rewritten chapter analyzing independent contractor and joint employer issues
All discussions include meticulous citations and footnotes - with decisions broken out by Circuit.
SUMMARY OF CONTENTS
- Chapter 1. A Brief History of the Fair Labor Standards Act
- Chapter 2. Operations and Functions of the Department of Labor
- Chapter 3. The Employment Relationship
- Chapter 4. Employer Coverage
- Chapter 5. White-Collar Exemptions
- Chapter 6. Other Statutory Exemptions
- Chapter 7. Agricultural Exemptions
- Chapter 8. Compensable Hours
- Chapter 9. Minimum Wage Requirements
- Chapter 10. Overtime Compensation
- Chapter 11. Government Employment
- Chapter 12. Child Labor
- Chapter 13. Retaliation
- Chapter 14. Recordkeeping
- Chapter 15. Department of Labor Enforcement and Remedies
- Chapter 16. Litigation Issues
- Chapter 17. Collective Actions and “Hybrid” Class Actions
The new 2019 Cumulative Supplement is current through May 2018, with further inclusion of key federal appellate decisions through 2018 and U.S. Supreme Court decisions through June 2019.
Third Edition Information
2015/2 Volumes/2,848 pp./Hardcover/Order #P3452
2019/876 pp. Softcover/ISBN 978-1-68267-721-6/Order #3721
- Summary Table of Contents
- Detailed Table of Contents Vol. I
- Detailed Table of Contents Vol. II
- Board of Editors
“This exhaustive two-volume treatise explores every facet of the Fair Labor Standards Act. An essential tool for any labor lawyer or attorney representing employers, labor unions, government entities, or private parties who wishes to understand the precise applications of specific provisions of the Act.”
Kendall F. Svengalis
Legal Information Buyer's Guide and Reference Manual